Sunday, January 3, 2010

Should old acquaintance be forgot, and never brought to mind?

My first post of 2010! Wow… 2010? Is it possible? A fresh start as some may say. While I don’t necessarily have “high hopes” for the upcoming year… I can imagine it will throw curve balls my way. Lots of highs, lots of lows. Such is life, huh? I do know one thing though… I can and will control some of it. Looking back, 2009 was somewhat a year of me… not being in control. I hope to change that. Maybe that is my only resolution. What is that saying? “I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.” Well, ah-hoy matey… bring on 2010, I’m ready to face it head on!


2-0-0-9 : A year in (short) review.


Our resolution as a couple last year was to find a church home. We began the first Sunday of the year. We’d been to this church a few times before and while I initially felt we still needed to “shop around”- it didn’t take long until we knew God led us to our family. We’ve made many new friends along the way… FCC Rowlett has been such an incredible blessing this past year.


Sadly, soon after, we faced the loss of a dear friend, Travis Spence. We spent a week in Shreveport with his wife, facing the loss of a wonderful man and faithful Christian. Chris never really had a true grandfather growing up and I think he filled that void for him. For me, it resembled my own Paw Paw, who I lost in 2002 and filled an empty space in my heart as well. I know he was ready to go Home but he is missed greatly.


Chris found his niche right away with the youth program. Soon after, he was installed as ‘Director of Youth Ministries’. I have never been so proud of him. As I stood in the front of our congregation, holding his hand, in front of our families- my heart beamed with pride and a whole new level of love and respect for him.


I accepted a new position at my job. If nothing else, it has been a huge learning experience for me. Lots of stress, I’ve learned numerous things- both job related and about myself. Unlike my few other jobs I have had… I will have been with this company for two years in February. A personal record for me.

My best friend got married. I was privileged to be her Matron of Honor and stand beside her, just as she stood by me.

We finally got our own place again. I’d forgotten what it was like to actually be alone with my husband. I enjoy coming home to MY home. Decorating MY home. It’s been wonderful. While it wasn’t what I ‘had in mind’ from the start… it’s been a perfect fit for us.


I’ve dealt a lot with my depression. It comes and goes, but I can honestly say my lows have been at their all time lowest this year. Struggling with my depression has been difficult, but for the most part, I have learned to lean on my faith to get me through it.

Whether they know it or not, this year made me think a lot about my parents and family. What they truly mean to me, and really, how much admiration I have for them. Maybe it is a growing older thing (and while we are on the subject, Chris and I both turned 25 this year, blech!) but I really can’t imagine a life without them. Sure they upset me or make me mad, but overall, I have been so abundantly blessed with the family and parents I have in my life. I am so grateful.

I became a “mommy” again! We now have Duke and Moondoggie who bring me such joy! There is nothing like a fuzz ball or two greeting you at the door, so excited to see you. It can make anyone’s day! Pre-Moondoggie, I did lose my Little Lexi pup. After a week of having her, she suddenly got very ill and passed away. This completely tore my heart up and I still think about that little girl.

I’ll follow this post up next Friday- when I begin the Show Us Your Life blogs. First up? New Years Resolutions. Have I mentioned I am long winded? Get used to it… it’s a habit!

No comments:

Post a Comment