Wednesday, December 28, 2011

DIY Gift Card Potter


Back when I was in probably in 4th Grade at a church VBS... we made homemade decorative pots for our moms.

Years later, while decorating a friend's classroom Western-style, I needed to make a very belated gift for her...

The above is what I came up with!

Start with some fabric of your choosing. You can mix different patterns or colors. Cut in deisgns, squares, or use special scissors to cut small pieces of fabric. I used pinking sheers for this project....

Back in 2008, when I made this... I had no idea what Mod Podge was, so I used a mixture of Elmer's glue and water. If you google or search Pinterest for homemade Mod Podge, they'll give you the directions to make your own using the same two products! (It's 50/50 water and glue.) So much cheaper!

Put a thin layer of your glue down on a plain, terracotta pot using a foam brush or paint brush. Start putting down your fabric piece by piece onto the pot. I placed mine "whopperjawed"... cocked a bit to the side and placing where it looked good and where it would fit. As you go along, use the glue and paint the edges down and smooth out bubbles.

I put on a thick layer, so it was harder to the touch once dry.

I found the letters at Hobby Lobby. They are the fabric backed letters, used for normally, ironing on to tees, etc... glue these down as you would the fabric.

Let dry overnight or until clear and no longer tacky to the touch.

Fill with whatever you like! For hers, I used some straw and silk flowers on top of a block of foam in the pot. I purchased gift cards in $10 amounts to some places I knew she would like. I'd recommend just using sticks with a glue dot to hold them up. Here, I used the plastic card holders you find in flower arrangements, but I broke a couple and they didn't hold like I had hoped...

You could use this for candy or cookie bouqets, a plant, office supplies, and so much more! Make a cuute decoration for later too!

The most expensive part is the gift cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment